Well, I did chemo VI Monday morning. It was a little rough pulling myself out of bed at 5:30a, but I’m glad I did because now I just have the whole week in front of me. It was a taxol only week, so I anticipate only one really tired day (Wed). The benadryl has mostly worn off at this point… so my brain fog is lifting, and I’m able to get some work done…
BUT YIPPEEEE!!!!! I got to do chemo! Wait a minute…. Isn’t it strange to be celebrating something like this? I would much rather celebrate a hard effort in a race or celebrate excellent soccer playing by my child. Alas…. I’m celebrating that I did NOT get kicked out of chemo.
Pre chemo VI stats:
Pre-chemo VI stats: 131 lbs, HR 56, temp 98.4 °F, WBC 4.0, RBC 3.4, hgb 11.2, hematocrit 32.8, Platelets 433 and neutrophils 1.7. So, those blood counts are … wow – way better!
PLAN – CBC FRIDAY, in case my neutrophil total has dropped…. If yes, then neupogen (and jamba juice) asap – need at least 24 hours prior to chemo.
Optimitism…. With two missed cycles, I found my nose delightfully not bloody… It took a while for my hemoglobin to get back up (it was LOW, and I could really tell), but it did come back up. I climbed one day with a friend… and I climbed hard. That felt good…. So, there’s a part of me that has really enjoyed the break… and feels optimistic that I’ll be strong again once I am finished and able to train etc…. And, I’ve managed to stick my weight with hardly any effort over these last couple of weeks, and I will work hard to keep that now that things are re-started up again. Next week is carbo + taxol, so next week will probably require more work in that regard.
Hmmm – this is a pretty boring post, except for the part where – phew – I did NOT get kicked out of chemo for a third time in a row! Phew! Hoping to stay on track. Five more weeks of the platelet-eating experimental drug… and hopefully, the remainder of the chemo regimen will go more smoothly.
Oh – last thought. I really think a lot of Douglas Yee. He fit me into his schedule on Friday, and we met to discuss various concerns about the trial and the experimental drug. I remain committed to contributing to this experimental trial, unless my counts go way south again… something that Doug Yee agrees with. He even suggested the possibility of going off the experimental drug if I crash again with blood counts. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Five more weeks of the drug, no matter how many delays in the taxol and taxol/carbo treatments.
Best wishes to everyone. I appreciate everyone’s caring words… It’s hard to know what to say to a cancer patient (not much to say, it just sucks)… and it’s hard to know what to say as a cancer patient (I often want to say, I don’t want to talk about it right now). So, as I biff conversations with folks – I ask for your kindness in letting me just biff it … in blissful ignorance.
And – I forgot to post this infusion’s photo…. Gosh – I love Cheryl so much!